The Hautefort estate is unique in the land of 1001 châteaux! Originally, Hautefort was a medieval fortress, besieged many times including by Richard the Lionheart in 1183.
Bertran de Born, the famous troubadour-warrior, rebuilt it from ruins. The château gradually abandoned its defensive features in the 17th century and became a place to live and enjoy. The Marquis de Hautefort, who had risen swiftly in society, wanted a château that would reflect his power and standing.
A rare example of classical Périgord architecture, the château today is a manor furnished and decorated in 17th and 18th century style. The era of the Sun King is featured on evening tours in summer.
Although documentary archives confirm the existence of gardens in the 17th century, the real designer of the Hautefort gardens was the Compte de Choulot, one of the most famous landscape architects of the 19th century.
In 1853, Baron Maxence de Damas asked him to totally revamp the gardens. He designed the flowerbeds on the terraces surrounding the château, and the park with its network of winding paths among local species of trees that he replanted. Making the most of the garden’s dominating position, the project provided wide openings onto the surrounding environment. It was not until the 20th century that the hedge was planted in the gardens at the request of the Baron and Baroness de Bastard. Choulot’s flowerbeds, initially consisting of lawn and flowers, disappeared to be replaced by topiaries.
• April to October 2018, Cinema Exhibition - Real movie set.
• 2 April 2018, Treasure hunt in the château gardens : welcome at 2pm and event starts at 3pm.
• 1, 2 and 3 June 2018, Meeting in the garden : box tree cutting, guided tour and workshop with gardeners.
• July and August 2018 : Creative workshops for kids (45 mins): Wednesdays from 2:30pm to 6pm. Nighttime, at the château...: Guided night tours of the château. Every Wednesdays of July and august. Tickets 9pm-10pm. Open air cinema: 10 July and 7 August at 10pm.
• September 2018, European Heritage Days.
For all events, please let us know or sign up by phoning 05 53 50 51 23.